Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bad Idea...Good Idea

As my time here in AK winds down, I am indulging in all my favorite Alaskan past times.

One such past time is canoing. I love it. I love meandering down a river, forgetting clocks and time, and simply enjoying the beauty of the land around me. With that intent in mind, Amy and I planned an adventurous down the Nome River - regardless of the weather.

Well, the weather was normal for Nome (sideways rain); however, the mounting of the canoe turned out to be an adventure in itself. Needless to say, we scrapped the canoe idea (check out the picture for a reason why) and instead enjoyed a pointless meandering down West Beach.

I love Nome in August (big fan of sideways rain) and had a great time chatting, beach combing, and viewing the sights (check out the row of gold miners on the beach. At least 6 camp sites showed their American pride with flapping flags).

Next grand adventure, blueberry picking and a hike or two!