Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Can Can


As a young child, I was extremely lucky to have the all natural, hippie sort of parents. I think that's why I love activities that focus on making it instead of buying it.

Last year, I tried my hand at homemade blueberry jam (from berries picked by Aggie B. and myself). After several attempts and lots of online research, I was able to can efficiently (and effectively) and developed a great spicy blueberry jam recipe.

This year, my research led me to find the best canned fish recipe. Now, canning fish is a whole different ball game than canning jam. Jam requires a hot water bath. Fish requires a pressure canner - something my dad doesn't own. Originally, I was set to borrow a friend's; however, when finding the exact location of the canner became a problem, the town of Nome came together to help me with my project.

I can't say the fish turned out super well, but it was an excellent first attempt. What did turn out super well was the community support for my project. Thank you Lee Ann for the recipes and the smoker. Thank you Cheryl for loaning me a canner. Thank you everyone for offering the use of yours! Nome rocks!

P.S. Did I mention I plan on bringing some of this homemade goodness with me to my Staging in September? Can't wait to share a piece of Nome with my PC homies.