Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dane! I Can Cook


So far, I have a pretty good collection of recipes going. I am really excited about trying out many of the recipes before I leave, so last week, I broke out my cousin's pesto recipe.

I know what you are thinking, pine nuts are disgusting, but wait! My Jesse's recipe actually uses pecans. It also uses 1 can of sardines (again, she's pregnant, so you have to give her a bit of leeway in the weird food additive category). I did have to omit an ingredient or two because Nome has its own fresh herb limitations, but after a few minutes of pulsing in my dad's ancient Cuisinart, I ended up with a heap of pesto. I cooked up some vercimilli and presto! This pesto was delicious!

Next up on my Try-It List, marinated tofu and sweet and sour chicken!

Presto Pesto
  • 3 stalks of green garlic (green onions can be substituted, along with 3 cloves of garlic)
  • one large handful of Parsley
  • One large handful of other herbs... could be basil, cilantro, or a mixture of other things.
  • One can of anchovies, oil and all
  • 3/4 cup of Pecans, walnuts, or Pine nuts
  • One can artichoke hearts
  • Enough Olive oil to make the whole mixture creamy and smooth
  • 2 TBS Balsamic vinegar
  • Salt to taste
Jesse's Directions:
The fun part is that once you've got all these things in one place, you just throw them into the food processor and let it rip! I usually chop them up coarsely, just so that they fit in. Add a bit of the olive oil and the can of anchovies first to lube up the process, but after that, the order does not matter. When you are done you have the most freaking awesome pesto you've ever had... and it doesn't even have cheese (or liver) in it!

You can use it on sandwiches to liven things up, or on any kind of starch.