Monday, October 25, 2010

I'm A Little Nuts

Last week, Jessica and I peeled, quartered, and seeded 40 + lbs of apples. 10 lbs went to apple sauce and apple pie filling [link]. 30 lbs went to my cider making experimentation [link].

Next weekend, I am doing it all again. I really like apples.





Löki's Pot Licking Apple Sauce Recipe
3 lbs of apples (I use mostly green, but you can mix it up)
1 cup apple juice or cider
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
2 - 4 Tablespoons honey

Peel, quarter, and seed apples. In a large pot, combine apples and juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for an hour. Remove lid and stir. The apples should be slightly mushy. Continue to simmer, without the lid, stirring every 15 minutes (breaking up apple pieces). When the sauce has almost reached your desired consistency, add spices and honey. Allow to cook for another half hour or so and serve. Personally, I like some apple chunks in mine, but if you want a smooth sauce, run it through a food mill.