Friday, November 27, 2009

Seasons...who knew?

I think this is a first for me - living through 4 seasons. In Alaska, there is is construction and winter. When I lived in New York, it was Christmas and summer. I spent a little over a semester in D.C. and other than that, I am a holiday hopper. This is definitely a first for me.

At any rate, seasons are amazing. It is amazing that here on a sunny Tuesday, November afternoon, I am walking around in a light jacket and tights, talking with few students who just took the 3 round of FLEX testing. It is amazing that my apartment is comfortably warm without my electric heater.

I never really got why people would live anywhere but Alaska. I mean, come on, Alaska is gorgeous. Great people, great scenery, killer fresh food (goodness, I miss Alaskan King crab). All my life, I have lived a stone’s throw away from God’s greatest creation - that would be the Chugach Mountain Range for those who don’t know - and, I always wondered why people would live anywhere else.

But, now I get it. Seasons...who knew?