Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Man of Public Service

On January 18, 2011, Sargent Shriver, the *driving force behind the Peace Corps passed from this world.

For all I knew about Sargent Shriver and the Kennedys, this past few days I have been learning how truly awesome he and the members of his family were/are. Founder of the Peace Corps, Yale Law graduate, Purple Heart recipient, Medal of Freedom recipient, Civil Rights Activist, Ambassador...this man accomplished more in his life than a small country could feasible achieve in 100 years.

Today I spent time educating my counterparts and Convo Club [link] participants about the remarkable life The Sarge led. I may have mentioned before, but everything from spilt coffee to My Girl makes me cry (while in country) and the passing of Sargent Shriver was definitely no different.

Thank you Ambassador Shriver for what you brought the world and for what you created. You will be missed.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargent_Shriver

I did not create that title, but I could never craft something as eloquent about Sargent Shriver. Resource: http://www.npr.org/2011/01/19/133049407/sargent-shriver-a-man-of-public-service