Saturday, October 10, 2009

Distance

Every PCV knows that 2 years is an awful long time. People get married, babies are born, tragedies happen and you are thousands of miles away with only limited means of communication.

It sucks.

For me, the classic verbal processor, not being there to hug (and be hugged), plan parties for, and to laugh with (and cry on) my friends and family is the hardest thing I have ever experienced. It is impossible to imagine the emotional roller coaster that is Peace Corps service. Everything I feel is magnified by my lack of ability to simple talk with those at home. Even harder, being this far away makes contacting me with any news darn near impossible. You'd think it would get easier the longer I am here, but even after one year, I am still a basket case.

Oi. This distance thing is hard.