Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Darn Good Birthday

For those who know me, my birthday is the biggest holiday in the book. I love it. I love being surrounded by my family and friends. I love birthday cake (preferably chocolate) and cooking related presents. I love sitting in my kitchen and enjoying countless cups of coffee and talking the afternoon away. I really love my birthday.

That's why, when I woke up at 5 a.m. Thursday morning, I was deflated. I was sad that my birthday was going to eek by without so much as a nod to signify the day. I was scared of spending my first birthday away from my home, my Team, and my family.

And what happened? I had one of the best birthday of my 26 years.

My sister called and we chatted for hours. My awesome site mate Amy showed up and we sat, drank coffee and chatted. Amy made a delicious flourless chocolate cake (really chocolatey) and we gorged ourselves on chocolate and fresh blackberries. My host family threw me a surprise birthday bash with all my extended Azerbaijani family and a few other PC friends. Amy brought her computer and we watched a cooking show. Overall, it was spectacular.

I could never have asked for a better birthday.