Friday, December 26, 2008

Keepin' Busy

For those of you out there considering the Peace Corps, let me warn you now: the Peace Corps is not a 9 to 5, M-F sort of job.

When I first moved to Zaqatala, I knew that my daily schedule was going to fluctuate. Although, I am working with a local NGO, I spend a small percentage of my time there. Even more so, this first three months I am focusing on meeting people, networking, and gaining my bearings.

Thus, I have got some down time.

So, what am I doing?

I am working on my graphic skills. I am strummin on my guitar. I am meeting with my Azerbaijani tutor twice a week. I am getting to know my host family (tonight, I am teaching my host brothers to play Spoons!). I am meeting with students and setting up conversation clubs and other small projects. I am learning about what support there is in Zaq and exactly what is needed that I can lend a helping hand to...

Overall, I am now convinced, I have the best job on the planet.