Tuesday, April 8, 2008

In Preparation – Personal Choices


If the Peace Corps called me up today, I would tell them I was ready to go yesterday. Anticipating my placement has been an incredible exercise in patience (above and beyond living with my father).

So, what keeps me excited and positive while I await the review of my massive packet of paperwork? I perform small “mental” tests of preparation (dorky, I know). Here are a few examples:

1. Quitting the Coffee: I quit drinking coffee (not so hard because we didn't have an easy method of making the java at Topkok). Reason: Who knows if I will have access to a French press and quality coffee. I would rather drink old dishwater than bad coffee.

2. Morning Routine Revised: I have paired down my morning routine to simply take care of the essentials. Reason: If I get sent someplace hot, no amount of artfully applied make-up is going to stick to my sweating skin.

3. Reduce, Reuse and Stopping Frequent Showering: I am still working on this. I really like hot showers, but I doubt I will be able to maintain my two-a-day habit wherever I am sent.

What kinds of mental tests of preparation would you perform?