Sunday, March 16, 2008

Shock & Awe


Frequently Asked Question #8: Well, that's going to be different. You ready for it?

Answer: Yes!

One of the neatest things about the Peace Corps is their effort to prepare Volunteers for service. Not only did my recruiter (remember The Chad?) ask about my past experience with culture adaptation and diversity, but my ToolKit (an online service provided to potential Volunteers) provides many tutorials and fun quizzes aimed at helping me learn about my style of learning and the cultural experience that awaits me.

Not to mention, The Chad put me in contact with several current and past PC Volunteers. These awesome individuals have answered my countless questions and described their experiences, which helps paint me a picture of service.

All this is great preparation for the adventure of a lifetime. I would be lying if I said I was not a little scared, but my apprehension only enhances my anticipation and excitement.

So - What do you think I will encounter in terms of cultural differences?