Monday, May 30, 2011

To Nome and now going back.

The first major leg of my one month home leave is now over and I am feeling something.

I wish I could explain it better, but after almost 3 years overseas there is just too much to analyze.

Firstly, it amazes me how much I..."forgot" while living in Azerbaijan. The feeling of a quick morning shower. The ease of ordering a handed-pulled Americano. The weird weird television shows Americans watch (I spent a good 6 hours watching 16 and Pregnant).

Seriously.

I mean, it makes sense. If I had spent every moment in Azerbaijan pining away for my American life I wouldn't have gotten anything done. I would have been miserable and probably left service early, if only because I need NPR in the mornings.

Yet, instead I just conveniently forgot all the things I missed and kept trucking forward. Of course, this allowed me to start dreaming of a grandiose overseas life. If you had asked me last week, once January rolls around, returning to Alaska was the last thing on my mind; however, right now, it is the only thing on my mind. I miss being home. I miss my friends and coffee shops. I miss Nome springs and local guitar players. I miss it all.


So, where does that leave me? I don't know. I really have no idea. There is no conclusion here. I am still overwhelmed...

Unrelated, special thanks (for the last 2 weeks) goes to:
Lew T.
Meghan M. & Theronn K.
Gina & Will M.
Matt C.
Aggie B. & Tom F.
Sarah C.
Johanna & Rhu B.
Jarod C.
Returned PCVs in Fairbanks
Tony G.
Kay T.
Annie, Hunter, & Olivia R.
Krista F.
Marsha & Mike S.
Carol G.
Julie
Nome Rotary
KNOM