Monday, May 10, 2010

Z'Photo Club Update!

Whew! I feel like I am on a roller-coaster that's going too fast to control.

What was it...three blog posts ago that I wrote about the first Z'Photo Club meeting? And, look at us now! Our 6 week intro course is almost done.

Although, I feel like I have done quite a bit in Azerbaijan, this project holds a special place in my heart. It's my first project driven and implemented by local youth. Pitfalls and frustrations aside, it has been a success. In June, we will being a new intro photography course and I already have 3 students signed up.

Geez...this is the stuff that dreams are made of. When you sign up for Peace Corps, this is what you imagine doing: development work. Frustratingly enough, when you first arrive in your community, you realize that was a pipe dream. It's not like you just show up and everyone comes running to you with project ideas. You've got to work for it and, in most cases, you never actually get to the good stuff. No. You spend countless hours laying the groundwork. I think my site mate Amy puts it best when she says as a grassroots organization in Azerbaijan, "we are growing the grass."

All I can say, is I got it good. A handful of Volunteers before me put in the time and effort to get this grass to grow. I am just reaping the rewards. Without Natalie, Donny, Josh, Robert, Steve, and David, well...I would still be sowing seeds.