Monday, May 24, 2010

Kosher Kalories

A common Peace Corps myth is that you will lose weight during service.

I mean, for some this is true. I am sure in non-Azerbaijani countries it's a totally different bag of beans, but for here, well, the average size American girls struggle to maintain their weight in Az. But, this ain’t me.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’ve struggled with my weight before, but not the gaining part. It’s the keeping weight on I have problems with.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, let me address the common misconceptions:
  1. I am not anorexic. I can barely spell the word;
  2. I am not bulimic. I like delicious food staying in my belly; and,
  3. I barely think about my size, unless Josh comments on my butt size (thanks Donny).
My problem is that I get too busy to eat. In Az, all your food has got to be prepared. Ready made food is darn expensive and not really available. I, the pragmatic procrastinator, usually put food at the bottom of my “to do” list and it often gets overlooked or I run out of time.

I know this is a problem. I get that. Really, I do. I am also tired of Azerbaijanis commenting on how “skinny” I am. I really don’t think they mean it as a compliment.

Anyway, I think I found a solution to my problem. No ready made food in Az? Well, I am going to make some! A week ago, I started a batch of kosher pickles (check out the recipe I used here [link]). Inshallah, a delicious homemade pickle, a pack of tuna (thanks everyone for sending me tuna!), some mayo...and viola! a quick and easy meal.

I think this is going to work. Actually, it better work. I am pretty sure staying alive on cookies and Fanta is not going to contribute to the longevity of my lifespan.