Friday, May 14, 2010

I really like coffee.

If you asked me to describe what I believe to be the coolest cultural tradition of Azerbaijan, without hesitation, I would say, "çay mədəniyyəti" [tea culture].

In Az, 99.99999% of the population drinks tea. You drink tea when you wake up, an hour after you wake up, when you are getting ready to leave your house, when you arrive at work, before and after lunch, when you re-arrive at work, when you arrive home from work, before and after dinner, and throughout the evening. Tea is everywhere and a big part of Azerbaijan.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like tea. I mean, my dad has at least 200 different varieties in his house. Tea is pretty neat, but...I am a coffee drinker. A good ole cup of joe is how I start my day (and how I would end it if I had decaf).

Still, I feel like I have adapted pretty well. I can drink four or five cups of tea in one sitting with no problem. It doesn't feel the same as when I take second coffee with Sarah, but it works.