Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sangria Sundays

I’ve said it once and I will say it a thousand times, I am a PCV 24/7. Although, I love my job, it is extremely important to find some me time during the week.

Luckily, my sitemates and I stumbled upon a delicious new habit which I hope to enjoy all summer long - sangrias on Sundays. It does wonders for my disposition and provides ample opportunity for me to check in with my fellow PCVs.

If you are so inclined, enjoy a Sunday with me. I will be thinking good thoughts about you while sipping away (Note: These ingredients are easily found in Az. In the US, add a 1/2 cup brandy instead of a second bottle of wine)!
1 bottle red wine
1 bottle white wine
1 liter Lemon Aquafina (lemon flavored seltzer water)
1 orange
1/2 lemon
1/2 kilo strawberries
1-2 cups sugar
spices
In a small pot, combine 1 cup wine, 1 to 2 cups (your preference) sugar, a couple dashes cinnamon, some cloves, and a dash of ginger (I also add cardamon). Reduce to half.

While wine reduction is cooling, clean strawberries and slice citrus fruits. Add to reduction. Mix in remaining wine and Aquafina. Serve chilled.