Saturday, June 27, 2009

Civic Engagement


My new favorite term: civic engagement.

This has been a favorite term of mine for awhile. According to Wikipedia, civic engagement is defined as individual or collective actions designed to identify and address issues of public concern.

And there is no better group than Rotary International that embodies that definition.

I am extremely lucky as the Nome Rotary Club is extremely active. Throughout my childhood, I can't remember attending a meeting where the Club did not have a an active community project on the table. Although, I did attend most meetings for the hamburger and fries my dad was sure to buy me, I learned valuable lessons while munching away. The most important: being an active and responsible member of your community.

At any rate, I recently attended a meeting of a local Rotary club here in Azerbaijan. During my five minute intro speech and flag presenting, I told them this: I am truly blessed to have such a great role model of civic engagement as Rotary in my life.