Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Laundry 101

Ever wash all your clothing by hand? I haven’t. I toyed with the idea in college, but decide it was impractical. Now, for many PCVs, it’s the highlight of their week. For most, it is backbreaking labor. For me (my family owns a washing machine), it is pretty easy; however, today I decided to try my hand at hand washing.

Here’s my method (compliments of Donny Danger).
  1. Heat water.
  2. In a wash bin (in US, use your bathtub), add clothing, laundry detergent and water.
  3. Roll up your pants, plug in your iPod and start dancing (on top of your laundry).
  4. Dance, dance, dance.
  5. Pour out dirty water. Fill with water.
  6. After 20 minutes to several hours (agitate whenever you think about it), pour out water.
  7. Fill with water. Plug in your iPod and dance (rinse cycle).
  8. Repeat rinse cycle.
  9. Wring out clothing and hang to dry.
*Hot water makes the process easier, but requires patience as you cannot dance right away (the impromptu soak can help tough stains or smelly attire). You can use cold water, but I wouldn’t recommend it.