Friday, February 15, 2008

What are you...I mean: Where are you going?


The most common question people ask me has been replaced with: Do you know where you're going?

Nope. I have no idea where I am going. I have yet to be nominated. Currently, I am in the first "waiting" period. From what I can tell, there are at least three (3) waiting periods.

The process goes something like this (Warning: This may be a bit different as I my service is part of UAF's Master's International Program):

1. Apply online (I think you can apply by hard copy, but that would not be environmentally friendly).

2. Get recruited (my recruiter is "the Chad". His name is Chad, get it?).

3. Waiting Period 1 - Additional paperwork is sent to "the Chad". He decides if and where to nominate me to service.

4. Does that hurt? - Medical Review time.

5. Waiting Period 2 - Medical Review papers go to Washington.

6. Am I in or am I out or am I in with limitations? - Washington decides on where to send me in light of any medical limitation.

7. Waiting Period 3 - Anticipation builds as I wait for my assignment.

Anymore questions?

(p.s. I posted some Peace Corps' websites to help answer any lingering questions. My suggestion: Check 'em out before you ask me. Maybe they will entice you to service!)