Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Biggest PC Fear - Revisited


I have switched my biggest Peace Corps' fear to contracting a tapeworm.

After reading Lonely Planet's Volunteer: A Traveler's Guide To Making A Difference Around the World, I realized I may encounter many different parasites, viruses, bugs and ickies. Being the scaredy pants that I am, I have embarked on a mission to read as much about tapeworms as I can to:
1. Prevent;
2. Treat; and
3. Finish my freaking out before I leave.

After reviewing the MayoClinic's online article regarding Tapeworm Infection, I have come to the conclusion that I either already have a tapeworm or I cannot ensure I will not contract a tapeworm.

The good news, tapeworms are normally harmless and do not pose too much of a risk. The bad new, I may have a freeloader or two in my body for at maximum 20 years.

Oh well, good thing I have a couple of months to get used to the idea of having a pet tapeworm.