Saturday, February 23, 2008

Friends & Family FAQ


1. Do you know where you are going?
Nope. I will not know until the Peace Corps invites me to serve.

2. What made you decide to join the Peace Corps?

I love volunteering. Serving in the Peace Corps has always been a dream of mine. Plus, as a student in UAF's Master's in Rural Development program, I receive credit for my service. Thus, I am actually in the Peace Corps Master's International program (PCMI).

3. Is it safe?

Yes and no.
The Peace Corps prepares each Volunteer for service by providing them with the tools necessary to integrate into their host community and minimize safety risks. Many factors contribute to the amount of risk a Volunteer assumes when beginning service. Personally, I am doing everything I can to prepare myself for my hopeful departure by meeting and emailing past volunteers, emailing current volunteers and using my Peace Corps Toolkit (an online "everything you need to know" service for potential Volunteers). You can learn more about Volunteer safety by visiting the PC's safety section "What About Safety".

4. What if you get sick?

Don't worry. I bought a book entitled The Pocket Doctor: A Passport to Healthy Travel. I am all set.
Just kidding.
The Peace Corps provides a medical unit and provider in each country open to receiving Volunteers. Additionally, if anything bad should happen, the Peace Corps will send me to a facility (either in the country or out) that can treat me.

5. How will we stay in touch?
Easily. Email is pretty universal and I will be updating this blog as regularly as I can. Once I know more about the country I will be serving in, I can tell you more about mailing restrictions, if I will have a telephone and visiting opportunities.

Any more questions? Add a comment and I will answer them in my next FAQ (after the Medical Review is complete).