Saturday, February 5, 2011

Everyone's in the family way...

So here is a topic I really haven't addressed: Being left behind.

Eh. I am not sure if that describes it. It's the all-my-friends-are-pairing-off, getting-married, and/or in-the-'family way' feeling.

Well, that is not exactly entirely true. Not all my friends are doing any of those things and I don't necessarily feel left behind.

It is just...when you are preparing for Peace Corps, it never hits you that two years is really a heck of a long time. For some weird reason, you think you will be able to keep all your ties, things at home won't change too much, and you won't change at all.

Psaw. You might as well try to stop J.J. Abrams from ruining my life by blowing up Vulcan...or for you non-Star Trek nerds, it is impossible to stop life.

People at home move in with their significant others. Favorite restaurants close. People have kids. Friends pass. Bookstores close. Besties move away. Stuff you couldn't possible imagine happening happens.

Yet even now, for some odd reason, I expect a lot of my old life to be exactly the same when I get home. I kind of expect to be exactly the same. Weird, huh?

And, I know, I know. Things aren't going to be the same. It will be like meeting my friends for the first time and trying to navigate through a new hometown. That's life...it's gosh darn scary to think about, but it is what it is...