Saturday, November 13, 2010

I talk about race, a lot.

A friend of mine recently pointed out that I talk about race a lot.

I am assuming I talk about it more now than I ever did back home or he probably wouldn't have pointed it out.

Anyway, I thought about it a bit and I have to agree. I do talk about race, a lot. It is highly probable that if you talk with me for more than a half hour, I am going to bring it up.

But why?

  • Is it that race is just on my mind more now than it was back in the US (Azerbaijan is pretty homogenous and, let's face it folks, I stick out)?
  • Is it the constant race-related issues that I face everyday (my hair is really unusual for locals and is often the topic of passing conversations)?
  • Is it that there are times when I am in that weirdly uncomfortable spot, having to speak for the entirety of my minority-peps back home (anyone else ever been asked, "How is the US Black community dealing with the current GLBT bullying)?

Naw, it really is none of these things. Honestly, race is always on my mind.

It seems weird, but there isn't that much of a difference (between Azerbaijan and the US) when it comes to the questions and inquisitiveness. I think people just can't place me, so they ask. It is just, now, I can talk about my race and how my race has affected me much more openly. This experience has made me think about my racial identity and made me fight for every pixel. If you think about it, that is pretty cool. This experience is as much about self-growth as anything else, so...stick a stamp on me because I'm Developed[ing].