Monday, September 13, 2010

And now, the rest of the story...

This is a hard blog post to write. A month ago, I thought it would be easy to write a witty and insightful post about Islam, especially after spending 29 days fasting. Yet, here I am struggling to put a couple sentences together.

Honestly, I am afraid I am going to lose some readers. I am afraid I am going to offend someone close to me. With the situation in the US, I feel like there isn’t a whole lot I can say without making someone upset.

So, what do I do? Do I say what I think? Do I forgo the entire post and just let the subject die? Do I pretend like I dislike Islam or make non-committal statements?

I’m really scared to say what I think or what happened to me or how much I feel like I have grown in the last month.

I did this fast to learn about myself and to learn about something I knew I held very little knowledge of.

What I found was something very beautiful. Something that helped me put many of my religious feelings into words and that helped me develop a stronger relationship with God.

Any faith that can help a person grow like that cannot be evil.

Now, I don’t agree with every Islamic tenant. To be honest, I don’t agree 100% with any faith. There are parts of Islam that I disagree with and even dislike, but I think that is normal. I don’t need to think Islam is the bees’ knees to know that it seeks to truly inspire good and beauty in the world.

Anything that has that goal is worth following to me.

I am not on a path of conversion, nor do I advocate we all go out an hug a Muslim. What I do think is that we can all practice a little more tolerance and focus on learning the true tenants of Islam before we make any judgement. Better yet, we can remember there are planks in our own eyes and leave the judging to someone else.