Thursday, August 19, 2010

Week One: A Few Mistakes

All right guys. Week 1 of Ramazan 2010: The Epic Experimentation of Löki's Self Control is D O N E.

How did I fair?

Well, Days One through Four were the hardest. Now, I compare every day to Day 2 and usually end up repeating to myself, "This ain't half as bad as Day 2."

And, unfortunately, on Day 5, I just couldn't do it anymore. I spent the day sipping water and holding my tummy.

For all intent and purposes, Day 6 and Day 7 went okay. I have been entertaining house guests all week and fasting while making breakfast and preparing for group dinners was definitely a trial of my self control. It's weird not being able to test seasonings and make sure things are turning out okay.

Anyway, this is not an easy thing, but, I guess that is the point, right? If it was easy, it would not be a testament of faith. If it was easy, the saying would not go, "May God Accept Your Sacrifice."

Ramazan is a struggle. It is also beautiful. I have never felt more...in tune before. I feel like I can really focus. I feel pretty at peace.

I also feel like I am learning two years' worth of information about Islam. Along with the two Islamic-focused podcasts I have been listening to, I also have been gobbling up "All Things Muslim" off the internets. I am flabbergasted at some of the things I thought I "knew" about Islam and how wrong I was. Geez. I consider myself pretty darn knowledgeable and progressive, but I was edging scary line of misinformation there.

I do have a lot to learn and hopefully, I can spend Ramazan doing just that.

Pictures are from the Oguz Summer Camp where I lead a dance workshop - hardest thing I have had to do yet while fasting.