Tuesday, July 13, 2010

It's Freaking Hot

I'm not sure what happened. It was all going swimmingly until this heat wave hit. One minute, midday was sort of uncomfortable and the next, every minute is ridiculously uncomfortable.

For an Alaskan, this is ludicrous.Why you may ask? Well, first off, if it is sunny and warm, an Alaskan is outside. We learn early on not to waste the good days doing laundry or reading a book or working. We get outside and we stay outside until the weather turns. The problem is that after 30 straight days of this, I am running low on clean everything. I need a rainy day, if only to do a bit of laundry.

The second problem is that Nomites aren't built for temperatures above 65 degrees F. We melt. I wake up in a pool of sweat (gross, I know); I walk around in a pool of sweat; and, I shower while sweating. I just cannot get away from it. I also cannot drink enough water to save my life. I am in a perpetual state of dehydration and it is really starting to suck.

The last problem is that my electricity bill is becoming something of a nuisance. Peace Corps does not account for record breaking temperatures. We do not get a "cooling" allowance. Paying 6 to 12 manat every month, just to keep my fan running (a necessity, I assure you), is going to run me past Peace Corps' poor house.

So, my answer is this: GIVE US A BREAK. Send a small respite, please. Anyone? Hello?

[Even in the heat, I am still trying out new recipes! My friend Vivan taught me her delicious pie crust secrets.]