Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Peaks & Valleys

You might think I am talking about hiking, and I wish I was. How much better a post about hiking than a post about...depression.

That’s right, the blues. That sneaky stuff that creeps up on you when you least expects it. It blows chunks, but it is to be expected. It’s not brain surgery to know that a PCV will have a down day or two (maybe even 730) during their service.

Unfortunately, I just never really thought about what I would do when those days came. Of course, I had to learn the hard way that my traditional methods of seclusion, massive chocolate eating, and dance movie marathons were probably not going to work here.

So, what did I do when I started down that slippery slope? I wrote emails, called PSN (Peer Support Network), visited friends, and took an evening or two for myself.

You do what you got to do.

P.S. the picture is from the last round of care packages I received - a sure fire way to help bring a PCV out of the doldrums. Thank you Aggie, Meghan, Matt, Gina, Will, Rhu, Johanna, Baby Bushue, Troll, Steve, Nora, Gwen, Mom & Solyne for your recent packages of care.