Friday, November 14, 2008

Soccer Sundays

I love Sundays. I wake up late. I linger over a second cup of çay (pronounced chai, but don’t make the same mistake I did, it’s english breakfast tea). I hit up the internet cafe for a couple Skype phone calls and a slow perusal of news.

I also love Sundays because Saturday night, I am sending out mass texts that say:

Soccer. 1230. Dove.

For many of us, it’s hard getting that daily requirement of exercise. A few of us wake up early enough to run, but lazy people (like me), struggle to get out of bed in time for language class. I do make time to do a ballet conditioning dvd and doink around with my power band, but that’s nothing compared to swimming 1500 yards several times a week.

Luckily, a couple fantastic trainees came up with the idea of Soccer Sundays. Now, the point isn’t to win (well, for some of us it isn’t). It’s to have fun, be goofy, and spend countless minutes running up and down a full size soccer field.

After a Soccer Sunday, I don’t feel so bad about my new Twix-A-Day habit.