Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Salty & Sweet

For me, a meal is not complete without something a little sweet to finish it off. In Azerbaijan, I am pretty lucky because dining starts out with sweets and ends with sweets (the best of both worlds, moms!), so I never really have to worry about dessert when I am guesting at a friend's house.

Unfortunately, I do have to worry when I am eating alone. Making dessert takes forever! I have no idea how I found the time in the US, but just whipping up a batch of cookies here involves an afternoon of waiting for butter to soften.

Good thing I found a quick and easy recipe for kettle corn [link]! I eat popcorn. I love sugar. I can tolerate salt. Sounds good to me! Plus, you can make a batch in about 10 minutes. Check out the recipe here [link] (or look below) and remember to stick to the stove-top temperatures. Too high a heat and your corn will come out burnt!

Kettle Corn
1/4 cup vegetable oil (eyeball it)
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/4-1/3 cup sugar
salt

You are gonna need a large pot and its accompanying lid. Don't ever reuse a kettle corn pot once you have whipped up a batch because the sugar will burn and make things gross (I learned this the hard way).

Over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Chefs the world around will tell you to put a couple kernels in the oil and once they pop, you are good to go. Do this. It saves time and reduces problems.

Once the oil is hot enough, add popcorn and sugar. Cover with the lid and beginning making those swirling stirs. I do this every 10 seconds from here on out.

When you start to hear significant breaks between the popping, turn off the heat and empty the entire contents into a large bowl. Salt and stir. Salt and stir. Keep stirring. The popcorn is really hot right now and it needs to be cooled down quickly. Sometimes I use a cookie sheet.

Grab the water and eat!