Sunday, October 2, 2011

Confession: I read junk novels.

Maybe it's because I am getting older, but I have come to a few realizations these last few years (the last 3 to be exact).

  1. It is okay to write a contraction from time to time; and,
  2. I really do not care what people think about my reading preferences.

Second realization was kind of weird, huh?

Anyway, one of my first poignant memories of Peace Corps involves book reviews. Seems like an odd topic, but you get 60+ absolute strangers waiting in an airport terminal and what's currently stashed in your hand-carry is gonna come up - you've got nothing else to talk about because breaking the ice is scary.

The point being, PCVs are a lot like the rest of the American population - snobby when it comes to books. We all cart around our current non-fiction bestsellers, autobiographies, and travel accounts like we can't be seen with a Tom Clancy novel lest our credibility as a [insert job/community title here] be challenged. I do it. The amount of classic and non-fiction literature I got covering my [highly visible] shelves is ridiculous.

I stash my mind-candy in the cupboard below.

Yup. I admit it. With all my Jane Eyre audiobooks and Guns, Germs, and Steel historical accounts, I like to indulge in frivolity (daily). If you left me to it, I would go through entire junk novel caches in a matter of weeks, I am that into happy endings.

Actually, this all goes with my theory and a little unknown fact about myself.

  1. Every American indulges in junk novels; and,
  2. I would rather read than watch television.

The Peace Corps lounge is chalk full of junk novels - too many to point the finger at just me. Everybody reads them, so why not just admit it more? From now on, when somebody asks me what I got in my bag, I am going to say Lara Adrian.