Friday, July 15, 2011

Toyin It Up

Serendipity is exactly how this happened.

Earlier this week, I was invited to a boy's wedding.

Now, I had no idea it was a boy's wedding. I arrived thinking that the father of the bride had invited me. Turned out, he was the father of the groom.

Anyway, 98% of all my friends in Azerbaijan are 20-something girls, so the probability of me ever going to the "boy's wedding" has always been pretty low. Wonderfully enough, after a few awkward moments, we came to realize that the wedding was indeed a boy's wedding...let the fun begin.

First, a boy's wedding and a girl's wedding follow the same exact patter. Look at my previous post [link] to know what that is. The only real differences are:

1. The bride wears a white dress with a red sash around her waist; and,
2. The bride does not return to her parents' home after the ceremony.

Otherwise, normally, the boy's wedding is bigger and attended by both sides of the family. Things go pretty normal - about 4 hours (maybe 5 if you are lucky) of dancing, eating, and drinking.

Personally, 4 hours is my cut-off. I usually leave after the special wedding rice pilaf has been brought in. Unfortunately, many people think this is exactly when the party gets started. Most of time, I end up having to dance myself out.