Monday, July 18, 2011

BUZZ WORD: Sustainability.

I think I heard this word at least 148 times during my stint in PC training. Everything and everyone dropped sustainability into the convo like it was the name of a famous friend.
PC Staff member: Hey Löki, how is your community mapping going?
Löki Gale: Um...good?
PC Staff member: Good, good. It is always an asset to know what your community has because you can help establish sustainable projects.
Löki Gale: Huh? I don't get it...
Yup. Sustainability is the name of the game. For me, it has been a struggle. The photography project (after much revamping and reorganization) has finally begun to see the sustainable light and last week, Jessica A., Mike R., Jane R., and I worked our hineys off to take that next step with our "annual" summer camp (2 years makes it annual, right?).

Along with a few other awesome PCVs, our Zaq group trained a gaggle of counterparts to organize and lead a 6-day day summer camp. Similar to last year, the counterparts lesson planned and facilitated the day program; however, unlike last year, all the preparation was left to them. The Sunday before camp, I was laid out on my couchbed, watching NCIS re-runs instead of spending hours making play dough and stripping magazines for beads.

Of course, our summer program had a few hiccups and several bumps along the way, but overall, I think it was fantastic. The kids enjoyed themselves, the counterparts learned a lot, and I got to see a preview of just how next year might go. Obviously, I am going to be emailing and care package-sending the counterparts here tons of materials, but eh. Sustainable does not mean doing it alone.