Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pasxa

It is not often that I observe Christian religious holidays here in the big AZ. Most of my time is spent learning about Islam and observing Muslim holidays. I find them ridiculously interesting as I grew up in an (arguably) Christian country.

At any rate, this past weekend, I had the amazing opportunity to go to Qax and celebrate Easter (or Pasxa in Azerbaijani). Now, if you do not know, Qax is a predominately Georgian region, so this wasn't your average Easter. It was Georgian Orthodox.

I wish I could tell you all the custom and traditional differences between Protestant Christianity and Georgian Orthodox, but I had no idea what was going on the entire evening because I do not speak Georgian. Mostly, I just held a candle and did what any good guest does: people watched.

It was ridiculously interesting.

Of course, the next day, I spent eating and enjoying the company of local Qax-ites (? What are people from Qax called?). I had a fantastic time and am really happy I was able to experience this very uniquely Azerbaijani experience.

So, thanks Nona and Lori! :)

P.S. As you may have noticed, I do not talk about religion or politics on this blog. For those of you who know me, this is a divergence of my normal personality, BUT Peace Corps express forbids proselytizing of religion/politics/ any of those things. I find it easier to just not talk about my personal religious beliefs and my political stances (with locals). Therefore, please keep any comments PG :)

P.S.S. It is pronounced Gakh not Quacks, Tom.