Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Neutral Road

Keeping my mouth shut is not one of my strong suits. I am a commentator, an opinion-sharer if you will. I like a healthy discourse on just about any topic and will play devil’s advocate if no one is stepping up to the plate.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), my org (Peace Corps) is a-political. I constantly have to remind myself that I am a representative of Peace Corps and not just Lökiland.

Now, why is any of this important? Well, I think we can all agree that in the US, half the population makes its paycheck by criticizing any number of topics (left-wingism, Bristol Palin’s life choices, the merits of the new Star Trek movie).

That ain’t the case in Az.

My job is to help young people develop critical thinking skills through discourse and knowledge quests. Figuring out how to do that while staying neutral is a hard feat, especially when a person likes to jab as much as I do.