Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Social Networking

So, I am gonna get to my Ukraine trip, but before I do, I have a story to tell.

A few weeks ago, I was enjoying a leisurely Azerbaijani-style hiking trip (the kind that involves several cars, picnic blankets, and shish kebab sticks) and I suddenly remembered I had a Skype meeting with the National Peace Corps Association scheduled for 6 p.m. that evening.

Of course, there was no way I was going to convince everyone to descend the mountain so I could get near a wifi source (case in point, when we did leave, they stopped to pick berries halfway down the hill), so I booted up my handy new-used iPhone and turned on its data plan. A few seconds later, I was typing away with other PCVs halfway across the world.

Yup. We went "hiking" with a samovar too.