Saturday, August 27, 2011

Merry Ramadan!

You would think that after 3 years, I would be able to wish someone a happy Holy Month of Ramadan using the correct verbiage...but translating "mübarek" into English is hard.

Anyway,for those of you following that lunar calendar, you know it's Ramadan...for those of you who don't know - it's Ramadan.

Yup, it has started (on August 1st actually). Now, for those of you who are still a little vague on Ramadan, check out the tag Islam Ed [link] over there on the right hand side. Last year, I went all out and tried to fast for the entire month - what a wild, crazy, informative ride that was. This year, I decided not to fas and instead created my own activity to reflect and center myself. I cannot say that it is working as well as the fasting, but in this 90 degree August weather, I just did not have the will power to forgo water all day.

So, that is that. Bone up on your knowledge of Islam, as it is considered to be one of the fastest growing religions in the world [link]. Of course, a lot of false and misinterpreted information exists, so I encourage you to try for a variety of sources when it comes to educating yourself. Or - you can always comment me!